GVSHP receives grant to begin Federal row house study
As part of its ongoing effort to document Federal Period Rowhouses in the Village and throughout Lower Manhattan, GVSHP has been awarded a grant from a joint program of the Preservation League of New York State and the New York State Council on the Arts to continue its research.
Built between 1785 and 1835, as New York was being transformed into the nation’s metropolis, the Federal Period rowhouses survive as reminders of Lower Manhattan’s former residential character. Originally numbering in the thousands, approximately 330 rowhouses can still be found in the area bounded by 20th Street and Battery Park. Many of these modest structures are preserved in National Register Historic Districts and NYC Landmark Historic Districts in neighborhoods such as Greenwich Village and SoHo, but more than 100 of them have yet to be recognized for their historic importance. GVSHP will use its research to nominate many of the buildings for designation on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Preservation League of New York State/New York State Council on the Arts Grant Program is a re-grant program which encourages the stewardship of New York State’s architectural heritage. The program supports locally-based projects undertaken by municipalities and not-for-profit groups throughout the state. Since its inception in 1993, the Preservation League of New York State/New York State Council on the Arts Grant Program has awarded $311,346 in direct project support. The grant program is a partnership of the Preservation League of New York State, a state-wide not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the state’s architectural heritage, and the New York State Council on the Arts, the state’s arts funding agency. Eleven projects, statewide, were selected to receive funds from the Grant Program this year, and GVSHP is thrilled to be one of them.